Alcuin Club Collections 79
Since its first appearance in 1960 and revision in 1970, Documents of the Baptismal Liturgy has been widely praised both for its value as a source book and for the light it sheds on contemporary discussion of Christian initiation. The texts are in English, and a glossary of technical terms and a brief introduction to each documents help to make them accessible to both the general and the specialist reader.
This revised and expanded edition
- retains all the sources previously included, may of which have been corrected and replaced with newer translations;
- incorporates Eastern Christian texts from the great East Syrian Church Fathers, Aphrahat and Ephrem, as well as selections from The Rite of the Assyrian Church of the East and the Maronite Rite;
- includes additional Western texts such as the famous Pentecost Homily attributed to Faustus of Riez, Letter 26 to Januarius from Pope Gregory I, and the Rite of Confirmation from the Pontifical of William Durandus;
- places individual councils in their respective geographic locales;
- lists sources and related publications in a variety of languages for each document studied or for each locale.
E.C. Whitaker was a parish priest and Canon Emeritus of Carlisle Cathedral, England. Maxwell E. Johnson is a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the USA and is Associate Professor of Liturgy in the Department of Theology, University of Notre Dame.